newcastle harbour

newcastle harbour

24.6.15

Taking Stock: Winter Solstice

There's something magical about winter solstice. The shortest day of the year is a turning point, the peak of the dark that hints at the burgeoning light. A secret whisper promising sunshine, spring flowers and long warm days.

source
While many will mark the winter solstice with the time-honoured tradition of lighting a lantern, this year, I'll take the opportunity to reflect, to borrow from a most-inspiring blogger, Pip and take stock.

This winter solstice, I am:

Making: space in my garden for spring planting.
Cooking: macadamia and date bliss balls...my new favourite snack.
Drinking: cups of tea made from herbs in my tea garden, especially lemon balm.
Reading: YA by the truckload. This weekend its 'Six Impossible Things' by Fiona Wood and 'The First Third' by Will Kostakidis.
Wanting: a nifty fifty lens for my camera.
Playing: Gypsy and the Cat, over and over.
Deciding: on birthday surprises for my two boys.
Wishing: for spring to arrive already.
Enjoying: watching the pink magnolia flowers unfurl in my garden.
Waiting: excitedly for an upcoming trip to a writing conference.
Liking: Renew Newcastle and all the emerging creative spaces.
Wondering: how my three are growing up so fast.
Loving: swede soup in my new soup maker.
Pondering: plans for my 40th later this year.
Considering: tickets to see Les Miserables for my birthday.
Watching: River Cottage with Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall.
Hoping: to cook an incredible Hugh-inspired feast from my own cottage garden one day.
Marvelling: at my eldest playing the drums.
Needing: to plant more parsley, chives and rocket.
Smelling: winter dew on the grass each morning.
Wearing: cosy jumpers and scarves.
Following: so many creative Australian bloggers.
Noticing: all this freezing weather.
Knowing: I have washing to hang out.
Thinking: about family, near and far.
Admiring: the work of the children's book laureate, Jackie French.
Sorting: through lots of photos and thinking I need to make some photo books.
Buying: tickets to see Mary Poppins...can't wait to see the stage adaptation.
Getting: inspired to write more stories by the funny things my three get up to.
Bookmarking: more bliss ball recipes.
Disliking: anything left on the floor.
Opening: packets of Australian macadamias..yum!
Giggling: at my children's drawings.
Feeling: excited about my short story being published here.
Snacking: on crackers, avocado and pink Himalayan salt.
Coveting: a coffee machine.
Helping: my youngest to ride a bike.
Hearing: bellbird song in the reserve behind our place.

Looking: forward to spring branches draped with golden wattle and the scent of jasmine in the wind.